Monday 19 October 2015

Working for Admiral in the UK


Armin Kia discusses his journey to finding employment with Admiral Group plc.  Armin answers our questions.

'If you can find a job in the UK, your business language is probably fine. However, most of internationals are not as good in informal English.'

What did you study?


Master of Business Administration, MBA, at Manchester Business School, University of Manchester
 

Where are you from?


Iran

How did you find out about the job?


Manchester Business School is a target school for my employer, Admiral Group Plc. Therefore, Admiral came on campus to present their opportunities. I then applied for the job through the school.

Did your University Careers Service help you? How?


Exactly. Admiral came to Manchester because of their relationship with our Career Management Services (CMS) team. The job was advertised through the CMS. We also submitted CVs and Cover Letters through CMS. CMS also helped me throughout the selection process by 121 interviews, reviewing my CV and Cover Letter, etc.

What was the recruitment process like?


  • CV and Cover Letter
  • Tests
  • Full day interviews
  • Phone interview

Why do you think you were selected? What made you stand out?


  • Relationship of my school with the company
  • I did my homework to review the company's website, annual reports, interviews of important figures, etc. I also talked to a couple of people who were working in the company in the same role that I was applying for.
  • A little bit of luck- My interview day was one of my good days.

What was the process like getting the visa? Hard/Easy?


The company applied for it, so I didn't do anything other than providing the required documents and showing up at Home Office on the day of appointment. Thus, in my case, it was an easy and straight forward process, because the company's solicitor did everything. 

What have been the challenges of working in the UK?


  • Visa: the main challenge is to find a company that sponsors visa. Those few ones that do sponsor visas are more than competitive.
  • Language: If you can find a job in the UK, your business language is probably fine. However, most of internationals are not as good in informal English. Informal English helps to blend more easily with others in the company.
  • Cultural differences

No comments:

Post a Comment